Thursday, September 10, 2009

Wrapping It Up w/ Burritos

We're getting to the bottom of the barrel with our box of veggies so I wanted to make a dinner that could wrap up all the loose ends and the little bits of stuff we have left. Why not burritos?
First, I cooked 3/4 cup of basmati rice and set aside.
Next, I chopped broccoli, baby carrots, onion, celery, garlic, & cherry tomatoes.
The vegetables need to be precooked slightly which you could do several different ways...saute slightly in a skillet, steam briefly in the microwave, or in my case, I drizzled the veggies with a bit of olive oil and popped the tray in the toaster oven.
[The propane tank was outside on the grill otherwise I would have just sauteed everything on the propane stove. I was preheating the oven for some bread anyway and thought it was a good use of energy to "roast" the veggies.]
I added a bit of chopped chicken breast [saved from the rotisserie chicken] and the cooked rice to the mix and gave it a good stir.
I greased an 11 x10 pan [toaster oven size] and preheated the oven to 375 degrees.
I wanted my burritos to turn out crispy, so to roll them, first I put a few drops of olive oil on a plate and smeared it around. Then I placed one tortilla [10 inch] on the plate, coating the underside with the oil. I used 1/3 of my filling mixture and topped it with a bit of cheese. Then I rolled it, not bothering to tuck in the ends, and placed it flap side down in the pan. Repeat, repeat, for a total of 3 burritos. Then into the oven for about 30 minutes or until crispy. Top with a bit of grated cheese and cook for another 5 minutes.
We like ours with some sauce on top...Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce is what I had on hand. Heat separately [microwave or saucepan] and pour over burrito to serve. Add salsa and sour cream [optional] or any other toppings you like.

Ingredients: leftover veggies & meat, rice, tortillas [10 inch or "burrito" size], enchilada sauce [optional], salsa [optional], sour cream [optional]

No comments: