Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Rotisserie Chicken to Derby City Chicken Salad

It seems that as of late, most of my meals have a dual purpose...not only are they dinner, but also serve as lunch the next day. I find it difficult to cook just the right amount for 2 people & we don't do well with the same thing all over again as left-overs...so this new strategy seems to be working out pretty well.

I bought a 5 lb. chicken at the grocery. Jeff skewered it then sprinkled it up with a salt & pepper citrus blend and then popped it into the rotisserie for 13 minutes a pound plus 10 minutes for warming up. Once again, I utilized the heat from the rotisserie to cook my veggies by placing a pan on top[as seen in picture]. This has to be one of the easiest dinners ever and the chicken turned out beautifully crisp on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside.

Once the chicken had cooled, I stripped all the meat off of the bones. It's much easier to do it then than after it's been refrigerated. What we didn't eat for dinner goes into a tupperware and then into the fridge for tomorrow's chicken salad.
I call my chicken salad "Derby City Chicken Salad" because that's what the Kroger deli calls theirs, and theirs is what my recipe is based on. The salad contains: chicken [of course!], celery, pecans, grapes, and mayo and it is delicious. Sometimes I add a bit of onion to mine & always a few cracks of fresh ground black pepper. This time, instead of grapes, I cut up an apple [because I needed to use the apple] and I liked it better. All the ingredients are proportioned to taste and according to how much chicken you have...2 sprigs of celery, a handful of nuts, etc. Dice everything to about the same size pieces and mix together. Err on the side of caution when adding the mayo...you can always add more, but it's harder to take away if you get too much.
Chill for a couple of hours and it's good to go! Great for sandwiches or wraps & fabulous on crackers.

Ingredients: 1 Whole Chicken, various seasonings, celery, pecans, grapes or apples, onion [optional], & mayo.

No comments: