Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hard-Boiled Eggs


Sounds simple enough, but I always have a hard time peeling my eggs. Eggland's Best says:

Hard-cooked eggs may be difficult to peel if they are very fresh. This is because an egg shrinks inside during storage, which pulls the inner membrane away from the inside of the shell. For this reason, a hard-cooked egg will peel more easily if it has been stored for one or two weeks before it is cooked.

I doubt my eggs are too fresh coming from the grocery store and all so, it must be my cooking method.
This is how they say to cook the perfect hard-boiled egg:

Bring eggs to room temperature then place the eggs in room temperature water; bring to a boil then turn down to a low boil for 12 minutes. Quickly chill the eggs in ice cold water before peeling.

12 minutes seems like a long time to me, but Martha Stewart concurs and her directions are the same.
I guess I'll go boil some eggs now.

2 comments:

capndeb said...

I can't believe that you are boiling eggs before the NET! But wait 'til I show you what I got from Specialty Hardware!!!

Anonymous said...

12 minutes? No wonder Steve thinks I'm nuts for boiling eggs for 20 minutes.

Lisa