Monday, September 14, 2009

Beef in the Rotisserie

We did turkey. We did chicken. It was time for beef. I did a little research on the internet about what cut of beef would be best in the rotisserie and then was greatly disappointed in my choices at the grocery. I chose a London Broil, although that seems to have become a somewhat generic label. It is supposed to be a cooking method not a cut of meat. This particular one also said it was "Top Round" and with my limited knowledge I decided that was my best option. Something from the loin or the rib would have provided a more marbled piece of beef thus resulting in a more tender and juicy finished product. Next time, I'll shop around.

As soon as I got it back to the boat, I started prepping the meat. First I rinsed, then patted it dry. Laid it on a large piece of aluminum foil & drizzled it with a little olive oil. The piece was pretty lean, almost no marbling, and I thought the oil would help in my cooking process. Next I gave it a dash or 2 of worchestershire sauce. Then generous sprinkles of lemon pepper, sea salt, garlic & onion powder. Flipped it over and repeated on the other side. Then I sealed it up in the foil and placed it in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Usually, Jeff is in charge of "skewering" the meat on to the rotisserie aparatus, but he was resting so I thought I'd try my hand at it...And promptly stabbed said hand with said rotisserie aparatus. It only bled a little, and more importantly - none on the meat, but now I know WHY he's in charge of that particular aspect.
The rotisserie says for "Rare Roast Beef" to cook for 19 minutes a pound. This is probably fine for a rounder, thicker cut of meat, but was a little too long for the london broil. It still turned out pink through out the center, but I would have prefered it to be a little more so. I thin sliced the meat and it was tender and delicious. We used it on sandwiches all weekend. The cold sandwiches with lettuce, tomato, advocado, and jarlsberg cheese made a great late-night supper, but the best was the hot sandwiches with sauteed onions, celery, and garlic & melted provolone cheese on crusty hoagie rolls with a side of steaming au jus to dip.












Oh, and remember those sweet potatoes that I wasn't sure how to make edible?
I got to thinking about other vegetables that I don't eat...I don't like okra, for example...but I love it fried!
So...
I sliced the potatoes real thin, and Jeff fried them up. We sprinkled them with season salt and pepper and they tasted great.









1 comment:

capndeb said...

Take a round steak, have the butcher put it through the swizzer (?), make up some "stuffing", roll it all up, tie it up, cook it up... long time... especially nice over a charcoal weber...

Ummm, hummm. One of my favs.