Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What My Mother Made For Lunch

This is what my Mother made for lunch today and it was yummy. We accompanied it with a nice Candoni Prosecco and used fresh peaches from the farmer's market. Dee-lish!

Thai & Nectarine Salad


Time start to finish: 40 minutes
Recipe makes 4 servings.

1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
3 tbls. reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tbls. hoisin
1 tbl. olive oil
2 tsps. sesame oil
3 cloves garlic...minced
1 & 1/2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
4 oz. angel hair...cooked & drained
2 cups sliced, cooked chicken
3 medium nectarines or peeled peaches...pitted and sliced
2 cups baby greens
2 green onions...finely sliced

The dressing: In a screw-top bottle combine broth, soy, hoisin, oils [2], garlic, ginger, red pepper, and blk. pepper. Cover. Shake well and set aside.

In a large bowl toss pasta with 3 tbls. of dressing. Divide pasta among 4 dinner plates. Top with mixed greens then chicken, fruit, and green onions. Drizzle with remaining dressing.

My take:
Don't even think of measuring out that 1/2 tsp of ginger. Jeese.

I think a little more sesame oil would have been good, so proportion out your 2 oils according to taste.

My Mother used Louisiana Hot Sauce instead of the crushed red pepper. I say use both.

I think this dish would be great for a Girl's Night or a picnic layered in individual containers [clear pint/quart take-outs or glass jars] and served with chop sticks.

I also think a more substantial/authentic noodle would be better. My Mother just used thin spaghetti which was good, but maybe a rice noodle or lo mien would be nice.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

delicious! esp with Prosecco!

capndeb said...

Girl's Night???
Hmmm, are we going oriental?