Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Chili

I made a really good batch of chili [since the weather got chilly] and would like to remember how I did it. I didn't want to have left-overs for days, but I did want enough for dinner, Jeff's lunch the next day, and chili dogs for a couple of lunches for me. The amount seems to have worked out perfectly and the chili turned out thick and meaty.

Ingredients:
1 can beef broth ***NOTE - WILL ADD CAN OZ's LATER
1 lg. can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
2 cans of kidney beans
3-4 stalks of celery
1 med. onion
4-5 cloves of garlic
2 (+) lbs of ground beef
Various spices:
cumin
chili powder
seasoned salt
onion powder
garlic powder
oregano
black pepper
chili powder blend

First dice the onions, celery, and garlic. Then sauté in a good sized pan in a bit of oil with salt and pepper. I used bacon grease because I had it, but any oil will do. Add beef and partially brown, but do not cook all of it all the way through. Add chili powder and cumin in gracious amounts while cooking the meat. Now add liquids and tomatoes. Rinse beans and add. Stir and let simmer.
By not cooking the meat all the way through, the meat broke up and cooked in the liquid with excellent flavor and texture results.

I wanted the chili to slow cook for several hours, but I didn't want to leave the propane on the entire time so I would simmer and stir for about half an hour and then cover the mix and let it sit for up to 2 hours. Then turn the heat back on and simmer and stir. After the first rest period, I added more seasoning - garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, black pepper, season salt, and oregano.
After the second rest period I added several dashes of balsamic vinegar. Stir and simmer. Turn off and cover.
Before reheating for the final time, Jeff and I both tasted it and I added more cumin and a touch of salt. I also added just a touch of water.

We ate the chili topped with some shredded cheese and Premium mini saltines.

No comments: